I have SOOOO many Trader Joe’s products to rave about. Truly. I am so vocal about my love for Trader Joe’s that I now regularly have friends and family texting or emailing me about new products to try or asking my opinion on different products since they know I’ve tried so many. For this post though, I’d like to hone in on those items that make for excellent healthy snacks, whether you need a pick-me-up in the afternoon during (virtual) work or school, or a travel snack while hitting the road. This is especially timely for me, as I just traveled to Mexico a few weeks ago. Before any trip, I always like to stock up on plenty of snacks to have throughout my travels so that I’m (A) not wasting tons of money on food at the airport / gas stations / etc. and (B) guaranteed to have healthy options at my fingertips.
I like to look for things that have plenty of fiber and protein, as well as healthy fats. TJ’s sells a plethora of snacks, but be forewarned: many of them are far from healthy. Steer clear of anything that screams “empty calories,” like chips, sugary cereals and cute mini cookies. It’s important to read the labels too, because sometimes something as innocent as a granola bar can be more akin to a candy bar both calorie and sugar-wise once you investigate the nutritional info. (At that point, I’d rather just have an actual candy bar #thankyouverymuch. Preferably dark chocolate. 😉 )
The best bet is to start your TJ’s trip off in the produce section, then work your way to the nuts, then snack bars and finally, end near the cereal and snacks. Keep a special close eye out for these gems – my absolute favorite healthy snacks – and let me know what your faves are!
- Fresh fruit: Organic apples (I love honeycrisp or pink lady), bananas, berries (their blackberries always look good)
- Fresh veggies: Organic baby carrots, jicama sticks, super sweet mini peppers
- Organic hummus
- Nuts and seeds: Raw almonds, raw cashews, in-shell pumpkin seeds, raw pistachio nutmeats
- Snack bars: Simply nutty bars (my favorite flavor is the dark chocolate, walnut, peanut, fig and date one) fruit bars (my favorite flavors are the mango and the apple + coconut) and KIND Bars.
- Cereal: I like to combine a few different cereals together with nuts and seeds to make my own healthy trail mix. (If I’m traveling, I’ll throw in a mini container or bag and bring with me!) My favorite cereals that TJ’s sells include Puffins, Trader Joe’s Os and Nature’s Path Organic Flax Plus Flakes.
- Lite Kettlecorn (6-pack of individual bags)
- Organic light string cheese
* Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which means that if you click on a product link, I may receive compensation. More info here.